Phone Icons At The Top Bar Meaning



Wondering what are the meaning of the icons that show on top of your Samsung Galaxy phone screen?

Here are some of the icons and the meaning / function of each.



Bluetooth

Receiving / Received file(s)
either successful or failed

Bluetooth connection is ON

Arrow Down (color white) - you are receiving file(s)

Arrow Down (color gray) - you received file(s)
it can be successful or failed


 Arrow Down (combination of white and gray)
for gray - you already received a file(s)
for white - you are currently receiving a file(s)




Sending / Sent file(s)
either successful or failed
  
Arrow Up (color white) - you are sending a file

 Arrow Up (color gray) - you have sent file(s)
it can be successful or failed


 Arrow Up - you are sending a file
Arrow Up with number - the number indicates the number of files waiting to be sent.






EDGE - Enhanced Data rates for GSM Environment  
 

You will see this icon once your mobile phone is connecting to internet using your mobile data network.

letter E with color gray up and down arrows - not actively sending and or receiving data.

letter E with color green upward arrow - sending/uploading data.

letter E with color orange downward arrow - receiving/downloading data.

letter E with green upward and orange downward arrows - receiving/downloading and sending/uploading data at the same time.






HSPDA - High Speed Packet Data Access 


You will see this icon once your mobile phone is connecting to internet using your mobile data network.

letter H with color gray arrows - not actively sending and or receiving data.
letter H with color green upward arrow - sending/uploading data.

letter H with color orange downward arrow - receiving/downloading data.

letter H with green upward and orange downward arrows - receiving/downloading and sending/uploading data at the same time.









GPRS - General Packet Radio Service

You will see this icon once your mobile phone is connecting to internet using your mobile data network. 

letter G with color gray arrows - not actively sending and or receiving data.
letter G with color green upward arrow - sending/uploading data.

letter G with color orange downward arrow - receiving/downloading data. 

letter G with green upward and orange downward arrows - receiving/downloading and sending/uploading data at the same time.







 3G - 3rd Generation

You will see this icon once your mobile phone is connecting to internet using your mobile data network. 

3G with color gray arrows - not actively sending and or receiving data.

 3G with color green upward arrow - sending/uploading data.

3G with color orange downward arrow - receiving/downloading data.

3G with green upward and orange downward arrows - receiving/downloading and sending/uploading data at the same time.






radio icon
 FM radio is ON

satellite dish iconGPS is ON (connecting..)
dot inside circle with four spikes icon
 GPS is ON (connected)
play icon
 Music Player is playing
pause icon
 Music Player is paused
Silent Mode speaker with backslash icon
 Silent Mode
Vibrate Mode phone with zigzag on left and right icon
Vibrate Mode

color blue square with signal on it iconPortable Wi-Fi hotspot is ON

Wi-Fi signal icon
 Wi-Fi is ON

circle with backslash icon
 No network (SIM) signal
airplain icon
 Flight Mode
microSD icon
 Media scanner running
sim with exclamation mark icon
 No SIM inserted or the SIM is not properly inserted.
message icon
 There is unread text message (SMS)

66 comments: Leave Your Comments

  1. Mine has the wifi bars showing with the green and orange arrows and i dont know how to get rid of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These arrows mean that the phone is communicating with the wifi. It is nothing bad so there is no need to remove them.

      Delete
  2. mine has ? in top left, what does that mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can anyone tell me what this means, i have a N at the top of my icon bar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can anyone tell me what it means when there is an eye at the top of my icon bar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It means you have smart stay on. The phone screen won't go black if you're looking at it.

      Delete
    2. Ah thanks I had exactly the same question. I was wondering what it meant.

      Delete
    3. How do you get rid of ?

      Delete
    4. Go to settings, display, features and uncheck the box next to smart stay

      Delete
  5. I have an arrow like the music pointer but the other direction with a no. 2 next to it???

    At the bottom of the screen it has the same as well as some letters as well as 25ft on the right hand side??

    help

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyone ples tell me whats does the telephone symbol with 5u dots and a solid line symbol mean

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to know what the eye is as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a i at the left top of my icon bar it is in circle and it is crossed with diagonal line \. Can anyone help and tell me what this means,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too,have a i at the left top of my icon bar it is in circle and it is crossed with diagonal line \. Can anyone help and tell me what this means,

      Delete
  9. Hello! At the top left of phone there is a small rectangle with a green arrow inside and pointed up. Can anyone help and tell me what this means? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got a green plus sign yesterday and what looks to be an add showed up does anyone know what this is?

    ReplyDelete
  11. AND A TRIANGLE WITH AN ! TOP LEFT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a data usage warning. It means you're getting close to your limit

      Delete
  12. what does the white hand mean and how do I get rid of it

    ReplyDelete
  13. ive got a circle with a.line through it ib the top right corner? can anyone tell me what this means? thankyou x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This means that you do not have reception. Your carrier. For example if you're Telstra, Optus, Vodafone, etc. You are not connected. You will not be able to send or receive texts, calls or use your own data. You will be able to connect to free WiFi such as most McDonald's. Hope this helped.

      Delete
  14. Top left of icon bar I ha the letter M. What does it mean?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi can anyone help I have a symbol that keeps flashing up every so often it looks like a EYE with eyelashes and kike clock hands in it

    ReplyDelete
  16. it means there are looking at every movement we make.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In the lop left hand corner, I have a grey box with a black circle connected to a line connected to another circle. It almost looks like an old cassette tape. Any ideas what it is?. Also, beside that there is 2 grey arrows on an angle. Not sure what any of it is, if you touch them nothing happens. Confused |o-o|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure that means you have voicemail.

      Delete
  18. I have a capital N with three blue lines at the bottom left of the N does anyone know what this means

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, I've got that too, anyone know?

      Delete
    2. that stands for NEAR FEILD COMMUNICATION - Allow data exchange when device touches another device. Go to Wireless and Network Settings to ON/OFF this function.

      Delete
    3. I have also got this and have tried everything and it is still there

      Delete
  19. I think this indicates that you have voice mail messages that have not been heard yet

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had two little circles next to each other on the top left but they disappeared quickly without me clearing them. My initial impression was that they were eyes, but I don't think they had pupils...just two little circles.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have in the top right corner , a circle with a vertical and horizontal line in it, and 3 waves coming out of it to the right. Never seen it before. What is it ?

    ReplyDelete
  22. hello i have a samung galaxy i removed my sim and when i returned it a blue circle appeard with a blue line running through it now my phone will not except my sim back can u help me please .

    ReplyDelete
  23. i have a blue circle with a line running through my samsung galaxy and wont except my sim please can you help me

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have a little R with a plane on top of it. So not airplane mode, and not roaming, but something in between.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I sure would make life easier if the folks at Samsung included an instruction booklet with their phones, rather than arrogantly assuming that the consumers would have to figure it out on their own.

    Also, I have to say that the Galaxy S4 that I bought a few months ago isn't the most user friendly phone I've ever had, nor does it work very well outside of the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What does a three-leaf with arrow on the left top means? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. How do I get rid of the green and orange arrows in my Wifi symbol?

    ReplyDelete
  28. What does the white triangle mean on the top of my coversge bars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It means you're roaming.

      Delete
  29. I have a plus sign with a circle around
    it.....?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just got my samsung galaxy s4 and whenever I am not using data it switches to the "edge" and I do not get internet connection. How do I switch to 4g?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'E' or 'Edge' icon will shows if your data network is TURN ON.
      You can't choose whether you like 'edge' or '3G' or '4G'.
      That is the task of your network provider (ex. Verizon, AT&T, Smart Telecoms).
      They will automatically give you a '4G' data connection if they have this in their service.

      Delete
  31. I got an s4 and a little phone with a green arrow in the top left corner appeared for a s0ilt second. What does that mean?

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have a N with blue bars coming off at the top of my screen what is this and will it be affecting my wi-fi

    ReplyDelete
  33. the monitor icon with message bubble

    ReplyDelete
  34. How do I get rid of symbol with screen and green arrow going upwards.it is there all the time even when I am not to my knowledge connected to the internet

    ReplyDelete
  35. The phone icon on my home screen has a circle with a number 1 in it which I know is normal if you have received a missed call but no matter what I do I can't get rid of the number 1 or the circle.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have a phone at the top left with like a circle under neath it what does it mean

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello,

    I am getting an orange message type icon on the bar besides the range icon... It is also being displayed wht the smses

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello, I have a galaxy ace 3, in the notification bar there is a disc, with an exclamation mark and a small box on the left corner attached to the disc! Any ideas what this means please?

    ReplyDelete
  39. What does the white hand in the upper left corner mean?? Can anyone please tell me how i get rid of it, because i ccan't unlock my phone..

    ReplyDelete
  40. I have a red horizontal bar next to my Wi-Fi, but only when my screen is locked. Does anyone know what that is?

    ReplyDelete
  41. There's is an icon on the upper right (right next to the wifi/3G notification) that is a gray box with some blacked out areas and a green phone on top of it that has a diagonal line crossing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  42. What does it mean when there is a hand in between two arrows??

    ReplyDelete
  43. I have a gray box with black veritical then horizontal line one going up and going down inside the gray box.......what does that symbol mean?

    ReplyDelete
  44. I have a shoe on S5?

    ReplyDelete
  45. I've got a circle with a line threw it and it has an i in it. What does it mean and how do I get rid of it?

    ReplyDelete
  46. I have a circle with diagonal line through it need help phone wont work :( please

    ReplyDelete
  47. any one know i have a m letter type of symbol with a line thru it.. it is on my call page .. having lots of dropped calls and my phone is having a mind of it's own.. calling numbers without my doing..

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi there can you tell me what the eye with lashers is at the top of my samsung s3 is please

    ReplyDelete
  49. I have 2 arrows forming a circle. Does anyone know what that means?

    ReplyDelete
  50. What is the icon that looks like the delete icon on the keyboard but it has a + instead of - on it?

    ReplyDelete
  51. Have the entire top with white down arrows all the time. How do I stop the madness?
    No phone needs this much crap downloaded all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clear your notifications. There is a clear button when you slide your finger from top to bottom of the screen. That white down arrow probably means that you've done downloading the files or apps

      Delete